There is a state of delirium that only an inner city ER physician, clinical insomnia sufferer or parent can truly know. At least two of these populations are expected, and often required, to reach a full level of functionality on a daily basis. With our move in full swing and all other compartments of life running at a constant; I'm about halfway there today. Good enough.
I appreciate having brilliant children. I appreciate that they love learning and that they are capable of stimulating conversation and politely expressing their little personalities. Sometimes they outdo themselves a bit too early in the day for my liking. Here's a recap of our morning commute...
Me: I had the weirdest dreams last night.
B (the 8 yr old, looking out the window): The average human has 1,460 dreams per year.
Me: Where'd you learn that? You can't just ask me about my dream?
B: I guess I read it somewhere. Maybe on a TruMoo. I love facts.
Me: Ok. I love facts, too. But... if I said that to your brother, he would have just asked me what my dream was about.
C (the 5 yr old with the thick Jersey accent, from the back seat): I think if a human has 1,460 dreams per year then some of them will be weird. That's logic.
B: Women have strange dreams during pregnancy, too.
Me: How do you know that?
C: You told us that. It's your hormones.
Me (putting the car in park to escort B into school): Ok. As we walk in here, I want you to listen to the conversations that other kids are having with their parents. These are the conversations we should be having some days.
(background noise: a girl arguing with her dad that she wants to bring her cell phone to school... something in Chinese... a mom asking her son if he brushed his teeth... a dad reminding his son to turn in his permission slip... random whining about not wanting to go to school)
Me: See? Those are normal levels of enthusiasm at 7:45am.
B (making those green eyes sparkle at me under those mile long lashes and whispering as he walks away backwards): We are not normal. Good day to you.
Well, he's got me there.
No comments:
Post a Comment