I've scribbled, jotted and photographed for years now, telling myself that I'll eventually compile hilarious biographies of my children's lives for them. The fact that I couldn't even log a monthly entry of milestones throughout a single pregnancy should have been an indicator that it wasn't going to happen. So, here's where that idea has come to die. 95% of what I choose to share with the world relates to my children; their awesomeness, their imperfections, the moments I pretend they aren't mine, the moments I wouldn't let the world think they are anyone else's. It's what I've come to call the Mommy Moment Matrix. I'm stuck in it, no matter which pill I take. It is a parallel universe where time slows down when your child is about to humiliate you and the moments you wish would last forever seem to move at the speed of light. No matter how time flows in that matrix, you are rolling at a constant; unable to reach the child before he puts the booger on the cashier or to keep him in your arms long enough to tell him how much life he has given you just by being him.
A little about myself...
I am currently a 31 year old mother to two boys, 8 year old B and 4 year old C, and expecting baby #3 in August. I have a career, a generally clean home and we enjoy a rather full social schedule. My husband is in the Navy and our family has spent much time divided over the last few years. Some of my most challenging moments as a mother to sons have come in those times, also some of my most brilliant. Now, the real adventures in co-parenting begin. Part of me selfishly wants to keep all of the funny, glorious, victorious moments, but I'll have to let the husband, Big B, share in the excitement and trust that he'll report back to me on everything. He's missed enough.
I believe that kids are funny until you teach them to be unfunny. Their fresh take on the world is pure and simple and has provided me countless hours of laughter, tears and the accompanying lines on my face. I try to harbor a healthy balance of good manners, common sense and freedom to make light of what situations we can. There will be many days in their lives that will be marked with pain and injustice. I want those days to be met with a peaceful, courageous and faithful heart. I don't see where allowing them to be funny can hurt in any of this.
There are things that we know in our house to never be wasted: prayers, good manners and cool outfits. They might not always be appreciated, but they can never truly be wasted.
We are on the same hamster wheel as everyone else. We have children whom we suspect to be the cutest, smartest, most talented, most important little people on the planet. We coach their soccer teams, we're PTA members, we keep buying a bigger bed that keeps getting smaller, we only get the butts of the loaf of bread. We laugh. We laugh a lot. So, I'll share in that laughter. Someday, my kids will find their stories here and know not just how funny they are, but how much I love them just as they are.

I love you and love to read this. You are as talented with a pen.....ummm, I mean keyboard, as anyone I know or read (which is alot!). I look forward to and enjoy reading your point of view on our exploits, keep up the awesome work as a Mom!!
ReplyDelete